Climate Change Adaptation Planning
Climate Change Adaptation Planning is a service offered by LID Consulting aimed at reducing a development or organisations vulnerability to a range of climatic changes & natural disasters, and the flow on effects of these. Alternatively it can be seen as increasing the resilience of developments or organisations, against expected changes in the climate. While Climate Change mitigation should be our primary goal (and represents much of our work at LID), Climate Change Adaptation Planning is a critical risk management process that should be considered by all developers, investors and organisation heads.
Value of Climate Change Adaptation Planning process:
- Informing schematic design
A Climate Change Risk Assessment report can highlight risks critical to a development, allowing for them to be addressed during the early design stages. For example a Climate Change Adaptation Plan may show projected increases in rainfall or frequency that needs to be accounted for in your design.
- Meeting certification goals such as the following new build sustainable rating tools:
- Green Star Design & As Built – Credit 3.0 Adaptation & Resilience compliance.
- EnviroDevelopment – Climate Change Risk Assessment report compliance.
- Supporting policy makers and organisation heads
Climate Change Adaptation Planning can provide councils, policy makers or organisation heads with an insight into likely climate projections relevant to a specific region within Australia and thus identify critical climate change risks. This allows for the development of a strategy or framework to manage these risks which can then be incorporated into initiatives or policy.
- Meeting governance requirements
APRA identifies that climate change is a foreseable financial risk. Addressing climate change risk is now confirmed as part of Directors duties.
- Increasing the marketability of a development
The incorporation of Climate Change Adaptation Planning allows developments to market to potential buyers & tenants that the development addresses Climate Change Impacts through managing critical climate change risks within the projects design and operation.
When undertaking a Climate Change Adaptation Plan at LID we typically:
- Interpret CSIRO and BOM climate change projection models for your area(s) and apply these to your site(s);
- Undertake a risk assessment to determine which category projections are most relevant;
- Provide a higher level qualitative assessment; or
- Drill down into more detail for a quantitative assessment.
Climate change projections categories reviewed include:
- Atmosphere and Land:
- Surface temperatures
- Wind, Storms, Weather systems
- Solar radiation
- PET Potential Evapo Transpiration
- Soil moisture and run-off
- Fire risk from weather
- Marine and Coast:
- Sea level rise
- Extreme sea levels
- Sea surface temperatures
- Sea surface salinity
- Ocean acidification
Our assessments are based on the industry recognised standard: AS 5334:2013 Climate Change Adaptation for Settlements and Infrastructure.
If you would like to find out more about Climate Change Adaptation Plans, feel free to call us 03 9016 9486 or email email@example.com.CONTACT US