Climate Adaptation Planning
“Thank you for the report, it is very thorough. It has been an interesting process. I think all parties involved learnt from the discussions and I’ve received good feedback. I personally found it very educational and important” – Robin Walker – Project Manager Codicote – re Bourke St Melbourne Development
Climate Adaptation Planning is a service offered by LID Consulting aimed at reducing a development’s vulnerability to a range of climatic changes & natural disasters, and the flow on effects of these. Alternatively it can be seen as increasing the resilience of developments or organisations, against expected changes in the climate. While Climate Change mitigation should be our primary goal (and represents much of our work at LID), Climate Adaptation Planning is a critical risk management process that should be considered by all developers, investors and organisation heads.
Value of Climate Adaptation Planning process:
- Informing schematic design
A Climate Change Risk Assessment report can highlight risks critical to a development, allowing for them to be addressed during the early design stages. For example a Climate Change Adaptation Plan may show projected increases in rainfall or frequency that needs to be accounted for in your design.
- Meeting certification goals such as the following new build sustainable rating tools:
- Green Star Design & As Built – Credit 3.0 Adaptation & Resilience compliance.
- EnviroDevelopment – Climate Change Risk Assessment report compliance.
- Supporting policy makers and organisation heads
Climate Change Adaptation Planning can provide councils, policy makers or organisation heads with an insight into likely climate projections relevant to a specific region within Australia and thus identify critical climate change risks. This allows for the development of a strategy or framework to manage these risks which can then be incorporated into initiatives or policy.
- Meeting governance requirements
APRA identifies that climate change is a foreseable financial risk. Addressing climate change risk is now confirmed as part of Directors duties.
- Increasing the marketability of a development
The incorporation of Climate Change Adaptation Planning allows developments to market to potential buyers & tenants that the development addresses Climate Change Impacts through managing critical climate change risks within the projects design and operation.
When undertaking a Climate Adaptation Plan for a new development, LID typically:
- Interpret CSIRO and BOM climate change projection models for the sites region;
- Consider the climate variables that are most likely to impact on the design and operation of the finished development;
- Meet with the project teams to extrapolate potential future impacts of changes to these variables either individually or when variables change in unison;
- Undertake a risk assessment of the potential climate variable change impacts;
- Discuss design or systems solutions to mitigate the higher risk category impacts;
- Ensure implementation of these design or system measures.
Climate change projections categories reviewed include:
- Atmosphere and Land:
- Surface temperatures
- Wind, Storms, Weather systems
- Solar radiation
- PET Potential Evapo Transpiration
- Soil moisture and run-off
- Fire risk from weather
- Marine and Coast:
- Sea level rise
- Extreme sea levels
- Sea surface temperatures
- Sea surface salinity
- Ocean acidification
Our assessments are based on the industry recognised standard: AS 5334:2013 Climate Change Adaptation for Settlements and Infrastructure.
If you would like to find out more about Climate Adaptation Plans, feel free to call us 03 9016 9486 or email email@example.com.CONTACT US